A new action group has been formed to lobby our Federal and State Governments for a better deal for powered two wheels. TWAG – 2 Wheels Action Group – is headed by Stuart Strickland, the Managing Director of Honda Australia Motorcycle and Power Equipment.
According to a media release published today the group is a “consortium of motorcycle, scooter and two-wheeled electric vehicle rider groups, retailers, importers and industry representatives”.
TWAG has 6 key objectives:
- Reduce the total cost of Powered 2 Wheel Registration including CTP
- Standardise Registration and CTP Australia wide
- LA category vehicles (mopeds) to be ridden on a car licence Australia wide
- Incentivise commuters to purchase 2 Wheel electric vehicle transport through green fund rebates (as per current solar rebates) and NO stamp duty charges
- National exemption from motorway, bridge and tunnel toll charges
- Parking to be free, including on the footpath as long as public thoroughfares and walkways are not to be compromised or impaired
The group believes encouraging people to commute by powered 2-wheels will assist with getting Australians moving again. COVID-19 placed a heavy toll on our economy and has severely impacted our lives. Now we need to get moving again, and the best way to do it is on Powered Two Wheels (PTW).
TWAG wants the costs of PTWs to reflect their low impact on roads, transport infrastructure and our environment, and to deliver real benefits to community health.
Wayne Gardner, the 1987 500cc World Champion and former Australian Touring Car racer, is the campaign ambassador. “To get our economy moving, we need to get our people moving. Let’s keep the costs of powered 2-wheel transport as low as the impact they have on our roads, our infrastructure and our environment”, Wayne said.
The group outlined some of the benefits of incentivising more people to commute on PTWs:
- reduced air and noise pollution
- reduced traffic and parking congestion
- reduced commuting time
- effective social distancing while commuting
- increased mental well being
- making commuting fun
Powered 2-wheel transport is the simplest, most cost-effective, flexible and socially distanced transport solution available. So the group is lobbying our governments to keep PTW costs as low as the impact they have on our roads, infrastructure and environment.
You can assist this great initiative by signing the petition: http://www.change.org/a-better-deal-for-2-wheels
* * *
Be safe. Enjoy the ride